Scope of application
A Council shall be established, to be called the Fatwa Council of the United Arab Emirates, which shall enjoy the financial and administrative independence necessary to achieve its objectives and exercise its functions.
The Council shall be composed of a number of experts and specialists in the legal Islamic sciences who are competent, knowledgeable and reputable.
The Council’s headquarters shall be in Abu Dhabi.
The Council shall undertake the following tasks:
- Issue Fatwas in the country.
- Control Fatwas and standardize its reference, organize its affairs and the issuing mechanisms.
- License and authorize the practice of Fatwas in the country, qualify muftis, train them, and develop their capacities.
- Fight sectarianism, fanaticism and insults against sanctities.
- Issue legal studies and research related to various areas of development.
- Follow-up and supervise the Fatwa Department in the Commission, with regard to the issued Sharia fatwas.
- Follow-up and supervise the legal fatwas issued by the concerned authorities, and liaise with them.
- Represent the state in conferences, seminars and international jurisprudence assemblies related to the affairs of the legal fatwa.
- Any other functions assigned to the Council by a decision of the Council of Ministers or the competent Minister.
The Council shall have allocated the financial resources necessary for the exercise of its functions from the budget of the Ministry of Ruler’s Affairs, from which such payments shall be made in accordance with the regulations and decisions issued by the Minister.